Do you want to help refugees access university?
Student Refugees is a project initiated and driven by students, who helps refugees applying to Danish universities – and support them after they have been accepted.
Why Student Refugees?
The process for refugees to access higher education can be rather complicated. When arriving to Denmark, refugees, who wish to start at university, often do not carry their official academic documentation. Many of them need an assessment of their qualifications before applying to a Danish university.
Our knowledge about refugees’ education in Denmark is limited, what we know, is that in 2015:
- 207 Syrians got their foreign degree recognized to 1-4 years of a Danish university degree.
- Of the 207 only 41 applied for a university.
- 21 were
The numbers for other nationalities is more uncertain, but probably similar.
That 90% of the refugees does not finish their university degree is a great loss of competencies, it can limit the opportunity for integration and for contributing to society.
I would like to volunteer. What can I do, and who are you looking for?
We are currently looking for volunteers, who want to support refugees applying for universities in Denmark by helping them with their application or how to navigate through the application and education system. Your contact with the refugees will be through:
- An ”application café” where you and other volunteers meet up with refugees.
- Contact to refugees on e-mail
- A student or employee at a university.
- A person who speaks and writes English fluentl
- Able to volunteer about 10-15 hours pr. month in a period of at least 9 months from September 2018.
- Able to participate in an introductory course 9th of September.
You do not need any special knowledge about the education system or the application process. We will give you the information you need.
So what’s in it for you?
- Get the opportunity to help refugees get a Danish education and better conditions in Denmark
- Training and network with other volunteers.
- You will be part of Studenterhusets Volunteers, who offers you a series of social and academic events.
We are looking forward to receive your application by 10th of August. You can apply here:
Do you have any questions?
Do you have any questions or would like to know more about the project, contact Project Coordinator Ellen-Margrethe Dahl-Gren at email@example.com.
Student Refugees is a part of Studenterhusets Laboratorium for Samfundsengagement, funded by Tuborgfondet and University og Copenhagen.
Student Refugees is developed in collaboration with Danske Studerendes Fællesråd and Social Science Across Borders. The website Studentrefugees.dk is funded by EU through the European organization ESIB.